Chronology of Lakehurst History
|Circa 1789||Federal Forge in operation supplying cannonballs for the
Continental Army. First forge in Ocean County.
|Circa 1850||Village of Manchester founded by William Torrey along with the
Raritan and Delaware Bay Railroad. Early industrial center.
|Circa 1860's||Raritan and Delaware Bay Railroad was named as carrier for Union
troops and supplies by Secretary of War. Torrey/Larrabee Store opened using
local script as money.
|Circa 1870's||Red Men's Lodge Hall constructed. Present home of Fleet Reserve Association Branch 124.|
|1874||First Mass celebrated in Old St. John's Church. Oldest Roman
Catholic Church in Ocean County. Present home of the Lakehurst Historical
|1884||Rogers Hotel constructed on Union Avenue. Owned by Charles
Rogers, it was the site of much political activity in the Lakehurst/Manchester
|1897||Lakehurst Post Office founded. Name "Lakehurst" in regular
|1898||Pine-Tree Inn, large winter resort opens on Union
|Circa 1900||Largest Central Railroad of New Jersey shops and roundhouse in
operation. Many small businesses and local industries line the tree-lined Union
|1911||Second largest industry, Rope Factory, burned to the ground.
Manchester Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 formed. Became Lakehurst Volunteer fire
Company in 1918.
|1912||Austin Miles authors the famous hymn "In the Garden" after
receiving inspiration from his mother's rose garden on Pine
|1921||Lakehurst Incorporated on April 7, 1921. Lakehurst Naval Air
Station established. Construction started in Hanger One on ZR-1
|1928||First International Airport in the United States at NAS
Lakehurst. Graf Zeppelin started round the world flight at
|1936||German Zeppelin Hindenburg made 10 flights here.
|May 6, 1937||Hindenburg explodes and burns near mooring mast.
|Circa 1940's||Railroad shops declining. Pine-Tree Inn razed.|
|1940's - 1960's||Birthplace of helicopters in U.S. Navy
|1962||Last flight of U.S. Navy Blimps
|1993||Historical Society Museum opened.|